The successful candidate will have the relevant technical experience and will be willing to apply it to improve our waveguide assembly processes.
- This is an opportunity to work in our talented Waveguide Development team, based in Abingdon, Oxfordshire
- This role will be an opportunity to apply your skills and knowledge to real engineering challenges of developing improved Waveguide Assembly processes
- We have a semi-fabless manufacturing environment; in this role you will be working hand-on on various manufacturing and failure analysis activities as well as coordinating external partners
- You will have great problem-solving skills and will research and develop new manufacturing solutions and novel fabrication approaches
- Support root cause and resolve discrepancies between measured and modelled performance of diffractive waveguides related to waveguide assembly
What we like to see:
- Master or PhD in Engineering or Materials
- Knowledge and experience of optical coatings (SiO2, Nb205, TiO2) and various deposition techniques (magnetron sputtering, ion assisted deposition, CVD, PVD, E-beam evaporation)
- Knowledge and experience of laser glass processing, including laser cutting and laser-based welding
- Hands-on experience with assembly of optical devices using adhesive solutions (tape, glues, etc.) and other bonding techniques
- Experience of designing mechanical tools for assembly of optical devices in collaboration with mechanical engineers
- Hand-on experience with jet dispense tools for application of liquid functional materials such as blackening inks
- Numerical analysis and data visualization using tools such as MATLAB, Scientific Python, JMP, etc.
- Proven track record of using your engineering skills and knowledge to successfully create working engineering solutions
- Strong verbal / written communication and reasoning skills, quick learner with great problem-solving skills, happy to adapt to short timescales and challenging deliverables.
- Experience of designing and programming robotic systems for automated jet dispense application of liquid functional materials