Based in Abingdon, Oxfordshire, the successful candidate will have the relevant technical experience and will be willing to apply it to improve our waveguide assembly processes.
- This role will be an opportunity to apply your skills and knowledge to real engineering challenges of developing improved Waveguide Assembly processes.
- We have a semi-fabless manufacturing environment; in this role you will be working hand-on on various manufacturing and failure analysis activities as well as coordinating projects at external facilities.
- You will have great problem-solving skills and will research and develop new manufacturing solutions and novel fabrication approaches.
- Support root cause and resolve discrepancies between measured and modelled performance of diffractive waveguides related to waveguide assembly.
What we like to see:
- Master or PhD in Engineering or Materials.
- Expertise and knowledge of at least two of the below topics:
- Hand-on experience with at least one of following optical coating deposition techniques (magnetron sputtering, ion assisted deposition, PVD, e-beam evaporation).
- Hand-on experience with assembly of optical devices using adhesive solutions (tape, glues, etc.) and other bonding techniques. Design of mechanical tools (e.g. press and bonding machines) for assembly of optical devices in collaboration with mechanical engineers.
- Hand-on experience with jet dispense tools for application of liquid functional materials such as blackening inks.
- Laser glass processing, including cutting and drilling, laser-based welding, different types of laser cutting techniques (e.g. filament, Bessel beam, etc.)
- Hand-on experience with following metrology equipment: Scanning Electron Microscopy, Atomic Force Microscopy, Ellipsometer, Optical Profilometer, Fizeau Interferometer.
- Experienced with numerical analysis and data visualization using tools such as MATLAB, Python, JMP, etc.
- Strong verbal / written communication and reasoning skills, quick learner with great problem-solving skills, happy to adapt to short timescales and challenging deliverables.
- Experience of designing and programming automated robotic systems for assembly of optical devices.