WaveOptics is looking for an experienced Principal Design Engineer to lead a small team and provide the expertise and design rigour we need to advance our electronics. You will be designing and customising designs so that the electronic sub-system may be incorporated into customer products. This will require awareness of certification of electronic subsystems and verification of the most harmful failure modes.
- The role will be based in our modern laboratory and office facility reporting to the Head of Electronic Systems
- You will be executing, evaluating, delivering, and managing complex engineering and/or cross functional tasks/ programmes of work recognising stakeholder and customer requirements.
- Be the design authority for all the electronics that WaveOptics incorporate into various in-house development systems.
- Identifying and implementing opportunities for personal and team development to ensure that the professional capability of the business and the individual are maintained and improved.
- The candidate should be confident to represent the team’s work in external design reviews with customer engineers.
- Experience in high speed display controllers and knowledge of video subsystems would be an advantage but there is no requirement to have any specific knowledge of optics.
- This is a hands-on role and the successful candidate should feel as comfortable interpreting an oscilloscope trace as they are with a schematic capture application.
- Full awareness of modern prototyping methods and PCB technologies is a must-have skill.
- perform re-work on surface mount components will be an advantage.
- Cross-over knowledge to include awareness of modern firmware systems and toolchains
- Knowledge of FPGA programming and porting functionality to ASICs would be an advantage.
- Compilation of project plans and full respect of deadlines and the importance of meeting them
- Awareness of thermal design and mitigation techniques
- Liaison with other engineers in the optical and mechanical design groups
What we need to see:
- Relevant degree with experience in electronics and firmware
- 10 + years of experience in electronic engineering design
- Significant and demonstrable history of successful delivery of electronic systems
- Expert knowledge of both high-speed data (5GHz+) and low frequency control bus technology such as I2C and SPI
- Detailed design awareness of microcontroller, memory systems and PMICs
- Awareness of the analogue properties of high-speed signalling and how this translates to effective PCB layout
- Fully aware and conversant with PCB assemblies, technologies, limitations and data transfer from design to outsourced layout providers
- Understanding of sources and mitigation of EMC emissions and immunity plus awareness of certification standards and compliance
- Self-motivation and a positive can-do attitude
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience using test equipment such as oscilloscopes, logic analysers and spectrum analysers
- Ability to interpret datasheets, schematics etc. from suppliers
- Design for manufacture and new product integration (NPI) to large manufacturers
- Understanding of basic optics and electro-optical systems
- Constraint driven schematic capture and management of such designs with PCB layout partners