WaveOptics is a world leading designer and manufacturer of revolutionary Augmented Reality (AR) waveguides. Our waveguides have a balance of attributes that deliver a superior display to the widest range of users with a high level of comfort. This will be an opportunity to work on a range of R&D and manufacturing projects to support the continued growth of the business in a fast paced, cutting edge environment.
- Reporting to the Mechanical Team lead based in our new custom-built office in Abingdon, Oxfordshire
- Joining a team of 5 Mechanical Engineers, we are now hiring due to increased workload and the introduction of a new onsite NPI facility
- The Mechanical Engineering team provide support internally to NPI, Test, Systems & Product Development Departments.
- The applicant will be heavily involved in the hands-on development of prototype head mounted opto-mechanical systems for the AR market, as well as the mechanical design of complex optical test rigs and fixtures
- In depth design, integration and delivery of products based on classical imaging optical systems in both glass and plastic
- Production of fully toleranced drawings and assemblies for manufacture of opto-mechanical components & design of alignment tools, such jigs, fixtures and test equipment
- Required to transfer test station capability to subcontractors where required
- Closely interface with Optical and Industrial Designers to deliver practical design solutions but with a strong emphasis on aesthetics where required.
What we like to see
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in design of high specification products
- Familiar with Kinematic design / alignment concepts for opto-mechanical design
- First had experience in designing and delivering complex miniature opto-mechanical products
- Design for high volume manufacturing processes such as injection moulding and vacuum casting, machining etc.
- Ownership of technical project delivery for the mechanical discipline, plus integration with Electrical and Optical Designers
- Highly independent – capable of prioritising goals, planning projects and tracking themselves against the plan
- Practical workshop skills for development of prototype systems and assembly of first articles and test fixtures.
- Excellent Communication skills to ensure clear liaison within the team as well as with suppliers and customers
- Experience delivering innovative and imaginative solutions to problems
- Continuously willing to learn and very strong attention to detail
- Specific experience in HeadsUp Displays, mobile phones or displays is preferred
- Experience in concept to volume product delivery of consumer electronic (CE) goods is required
- Experience with NPI would be an advantage